Anytime you get the “Windows 7 Update Service Not Running” message when you try to update Windows 7 it can be frustrating but don’t panic. We just need to know how to go about getting the updates functioning again.
First before doing anything, I recommend backing up all your data before proceeding. There are several ways to jumpstart the windows 7 update service but I’ll mention the one that worked for me. If you wan tto see the other methods, check out: https://www.wintips.org/windows-update-cannot-check-for-updates-windows-8-7-or-vista-solved/.
- Simultaneously press Windows key + R to open run command box.
- Inside run command box, type: services.msc and press Enter.
- Search for Windows Update service, then right click on it and select Stop.
- Leave the services window open and open “My Computer” and navigate to “C:Windows” folder.
- Delete (or Rename e.g. to “SoftwareDistributionOLD”) the “SoftwareDistribution” folder. (I had trouble renaming and found that I had to stop the service again in step number 3.)
- Go to Windows services again (the window we left open in step 4.) and “Start”the Windows Update service.
- Try to update Windows again.
This is what worked fo me!